Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do I buy a D4 or wait?

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do I buy a D4 or wait?"

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sat 10-Aug-13 03:07 AM

Several times a week I photograph a herd of horses running towards me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNYedffxyA

A friend adjusted the direction of the video camera while I was shooting one of two D300 bodies a couple of years ago. You can hear me clicking away in the background. I had to use two bodies, set up side by side on two tripods because the buffer filled after about 12-14 shots. One usually had a 200-400 and the other had a 70-200 on it. I'd go back and forth to the two bodies as one filled.

I still photograph the running horses, but use a D4 now. The run takes about 1.5 to 2 minutes on average and I fill the buffer even on a D4! That's about 90 14-bit images in RAW. I have a 64 gig Sony XQD series S card in the main slot and a 32 gig Lexar 1000x in the other.

Even though I fill the buffer on the D4, it empties quickly with the S Series XQD cards. I usually come home with about 250-300 photos with the D4 and another 40-60 on a D800 set up beside me with a 70-200 and a remote. At 10 FPS on the D4, I can pick clusters of horses and then do a burst of about 10 shots, then pick another cluster and keep shooting throughout the entire run.

You'll love your D4!

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Do I buy a D4 or wait? [View all] , Cowleystjames Silver Member , Wed 31-Jul-13 05:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do I buy a D4 or wait?