Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do I buy a D4 or wait?

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13741 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do I buy a D4 or wait?"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Fri 02-Aug-13 01:34 AM

Obviously the D4 is the speed/buffer king.

On the other hand - you seem to have a narrowly focused problem that could possibly be solved without spending $6000.

What memory card are you using in your D800e?

I am getting pretty respectable buffer depth using a Lexar 1000x CF card in my D800. When I need speed (I shoot wildlife) I set the camera to 1.2 crop mode (24 mega pixel) and shoot 12 bit lossless compressed RAW – this gives me 5 FPS and over 30 images (that’s a 5-6 second burst – I don’t remember the exact number of images) before the buffer fills. Setting the camera to DX crop mode (15 mega-pixels) the camera will shoot a full 100 images at 5 FPS.

If you are using a slower memory card - it may be worth trying out one of these fast Lexar Professional 1000X cards. They aren’t cheap but they cost a lot less than a D4 and will significantly improve your buffer depth.

Of course, if you need more than 5 FPS and an endless buffer then the D4 cannot be beat.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

This is a hot, active topic! Do I buy a D4 or wait? [View all] , Cowleystjames Silver Member , Wed 31-Jul-13 05:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do I buy a D4 or wait?