Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question on auto-focusing a D4

JazzDoc

Rochester, US
471 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Question on auto-focusing a D4"

JazzDoc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006
Sat 31-Aug-13 02:07 PM

BIF is really tough on many fronts. One element not yet addressed is exposure, especially when confronted with sudden opportunities like the one posed here. Birds have a diabolical propensity to shift background settings suddenly and frequently. Starting from a water surface with a forested backdrop, now they climb increasingly into partial and then full sky, sometimes blue but sometimes including white clouds, or worse, all white. I have increasingly tried to prepare in advance when shooting in 'birdland' by using manual exposure settings. Either a spot meter reading with test shots on resting birds (or objects of similar character nearby), and adjusting from there. At least the bird will be well exposed whatever they do. It is easy to quickly shift aperture this way or that if a tweak is needed during flight. For birds incoming, the issue is making them silhouettes in a bright sky. An alternative is use spot metering with exposure lock when in A priority, for example. That's useful in a jam when shooting in that mode anyway, and along comes a flock of birds. I have my Fn button set for spot metering for this very reason.

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

A general, generic topic Question on auto-focusing a D4 [View all] , danshep Gold Member , Fri 26-Jul-13 12:20 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question on auto-focusing a D4