Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF adjustments across multiple bodies?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF adjustments across multiple bodies?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Tue 23-Jul-13 11:14 PM

There's also some good reason to believe that trying to have it adjusted is a losing battle (or at least one not worth fighting) if you get other lenses or cameras, provided you have adequate headroom in the adjustments.

My D800 and D4 are quite different.

The latest example is a 400/F2.8 came in and I shot the D800 first, and it required no adjustment - fine at zero. Put it on a D4 and it required a -20. That was by eye sitting at a baseball game and fiddling with it because my shots were blurry.

So brought it home and did it very carefully multiple times with Focal, and sure enough the peak is around -18. And -1 for the D800.

Huge difference. But I just dial it in and move on. I wouldn't even think of risking shipment (and delay and possibly making it worse) by shipping either lens or (which?) camera back.

In my mind that's what they are for. I see a lot of people who say more or less "if I had to fine tune, I'd send it back and get it adjusted". There seems to be a perception that if fine tune is needed, Nikon's QC failed -- I get the logic. I just don't agree with it.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic AF adjustments across multiple bodies? [View all] , petterf Silver Member , Mon 22-Jul-13 03:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF adjustments across multiple bodies?