Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D2x repair estimate - time to let go?

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D2x repair estimate - time to let go?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 20-Jul-13 10:14 AM

> have you really given the D800 a good trial for your shooting?

No, not really. On the other hand, this isn't a murder trial, where justice must prevail! My rationale isn't entirely laid out, but I think it's fairly complete:

- I prefer the large bodies to the smaller ones.
- I prefer to keep the batteries the same and not have to use two different sets of chargers, etc. Besides, the EN-EL4a's are really good.
- Frame rate; I'm not dependent on it, but I prefer more to less.
- Control system.

> I know you are supremely skilled, and I think you would adapt to it in short order. I move between the D3s, D800, and D600 with no issues at all.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with the first part, particularly on this. I am particularly sensitive to control system issues, just as some folks are sharpness freaks and I am not. Part of it is that I often use two bodies at the same time, and my fingers just do what they need to do, without particular thought. I am definitely goofed up when I switch from the D2x to the D100 in such cases. OK the D800 is probably not quite as far away as the D100, but it's a clear indication. Also, I'm pretty sure that you use a camera a considerable amount more than I do, even though I'm fairly sure that I have more practice than some of the other amateurs.

*Could* I adapt? Yes, I'm sure I could. A D3 is pretty different than either an FM2 or an FA, and I seem to get along with the digital bodies without any trouble. But do I *want* to bother with a D800 if a D3x is available to me and suits my needs better? (And by the way, it's also cheaper.) No, not really. If a D4x - or better yet, a D4-dx - that had other things that I really wanted, I could be motivated to adapt.

Finally, since I don't pay the mortgage with my photography, I have the luxury of not having to compete with guys like you, and I can use whatever I bloody well feel like using! I can afford to be pig-headed and irrational and that's OK!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic D2x repair estimate - time to let go? [View all] , D2xer , Wed 17-Jul-13 06:03 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D2x repair estimate - time to let go?
Reply message Work-around