Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can a D3 AF faster with a screw drive lens compared to ...

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Can a D3 AF faster with a screw drive lens compared to my D700 or D800?"

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Mon 08-Jul-13 12:11 PM

There is very little difference in AF speed between the D3, D700, D800 or even the D2 series bodies. AF focusing speed is much more obvious between lenses then between bodies. I tried my 2-ring AF 80-200mm f2.8 lens on the bodies mentioned above and couldn't say one body was faster than another. I had to go to a D1X and D1H body to see a difference. These older bodies seem to have a higher torque motor which produce a fast AF but have an abrupt stopping action that causes a small bounce very similar to the powerful motor in the F5. The newer bodies like the D3, D700 and D800 have a smoother AF action but not slower. It certainly isn't a performance parameter I'd consider when getting a new body.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Can a D3 AF faster with a screw drive lens compared to ... [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Sun 07-Jul-13 07:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can a D3 AF faster with a screw drive lens compared...