Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The ancient D1 camera

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The ancient D1 camera"

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sat 06-Jul-13 06:53 PM | edited Sat 06-Jul-13 07:03 PM by ZoneV

>I bought my first Nikon pro digital body in
>2002, a D1H. The camera was amazing. I traded it in for a D1X.
>That was a dream camera. From there I went to a D2X and then
>the D3X. I go back from time to time to look at those old
>photos. I'm still in awe at how good those photos from those
>cameras are. I got out of the service in 1964. I was the base
>photographer then. My camera? A Crown Graphic. In 1970 or so
>I got my first Nikon, a used Photomic FTN. Those were the
>days.

Back in the early 2000s when I was a high school student, D1 and D1H bodies were standard issue for PJ work at the local city papers, with F100s being used by film shooters, and D1xs by portrait and commercial photographers who used Nikon DSLRs. Some had D100s (and later, D70s) as well. Before that, the F4 was one of the most common newspaper bodies. I was badly hoping for what eventually ended up being the D200 (a true digital F100) to be released ASAP, but I also figured a D1H would meet my needs just as well--if I could afford one somehow. I never used the original D1; PJs advised me to steer clear of it and go for the D1H instead.

Our local town newspaper photographer used the F100 and AFS 80-200/2.8, 300/2.8, 600/4, etc. He later switched to the D1. Our school portrait photographer used the Canon 10D and Sigma lenses (he now uses the Nikon D700). The guys from the next town over shooting for the opposing team's yearbook used the D1x and 70-200 VR. The photographer at the junior prom used the F100. Two other photographers in town were using Olympus E20N cameras. Football and track parents and grandparents were shooting with F4, F100, N80, F2, F3, and later D1 and D100 bodies once they could afford them. I was using an N90s and an F3. I used to look at the prices of the D1H and D1x bodies, and I couldn't wait for them to drop more. In junior year, the D1x was $4600. I finally got my D1H at the very end of my freshman year in college. I still use the D1H and D1x for PJ work. Sometimes they get on my nerves; they're unusable in low light (ISO on the D1x only goes up to 800, and Hi-1 is 1600). (The D200 is no better than the D1H in this regard, either.) But in bright light, they produce fine image quality.

Nikon user since 2000

A general, generic topic The ancient D1 camera [View all] , Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library , Tue 02-Jul-13 10:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The ancient D1 camera