Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 settings that affect RAW files

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 settings that affect RAW files"

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 14-Jun-13 10:33 PM | edited Fri 14-Jun-13 10:39 PM by M_Jackson

Joe,
I believe you need to be more specific on your question. The answers you get will be based on whether you are viewing your images in Nikon software or through Adobe software.

All of the in-camera settings are applied to an image when viewed in Nikon View NX2 or Capture. It will look exactly like the jpg if you did a Raw + JPG. (A TIF file converted from the RAW file in View or Capture could be saved as 16 bit, while the JPG will be only 8 bit, so even though they might look the same, the 16 bit image would have a lot more data.)

In Adobe products, ACR only initially honors the White Balance settings. Active D-Lighting gets ignored. ACR will apply its own presets which may not look much like the same RAW file opened in View or Capture.

ISO, focus, shake, and EV are part of the initial settings at the time of capture and will affect the image.

I am sure someone will correct me if any part of this is incorrect.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D4 settings that affect RAW files [View all] , Josephdoepa , Fri 07-Jun-13 09:32 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 settings that affect RAW files