Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dwight200

Stow, MA, US
309 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 in my future?"

dwight200 Registered since 30th Jan 2007
Tue 11-Jun-13 12:43 AM

You don't say what your photographic interests are, but since you have a variety of lenses there I'd guess your interests are wide ranging, but include maybe sports or wildlife (long lenses) and macro (105).

So your next lens really should fill a hole in your lineup, but you have to define where that hole is.

When I was shooting with the old D3 I concentrated on the 24-70 and 70-200 for most things since they were fast and good. I also have the 14-24 and it's a great lens but I just don't use it that much because it doesn't fit well in my bag and I don't do many dynamic ultrawide shots. Static ultrawide shots I can stitch.

With the D4 I got a 28-300, which isn't as fast as the 14-24-70-200 but that isn't as important with the D4. The only problem might be DOF but that isn't one of my priorities generally. The 28-300 is a very versatile walkaround lens. The 24-70-200 is sharper by a bit but unless you're a pixel peeper the 28-300 is good enough for casual photography (family, snapshots, vacations, etc.). And you don't have to carry around 20 kg of kit.

If you want long lenses I'd second the 200-400 suggestion since it fills the space between 200 and 500. You might also consider some teleconverters to fill the gap.

Dwight
http://small-farm.org

A general, generic topic D4 in my future? [View all] , danshep Gold Member , Fri 07-Jun-13 03:30 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 in my future?