Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 noise"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 06-Jun-13 12:35 PM | edited Thu 06-Jun-13 12:39 PM by KnightPhoto

The other thing I will offer up is that in reality you didn't have enough lens on the subject, so cropping this photo to a desired size for artistic reasons is going to exacerbate the noise perception. (you are looking at the face at 100% and seeing the noise that lives there, in the shadows as it were)

I.e. there is a ton of blank space on this image so you are going to want to crop it for artistic reasons. In an ideal world we'd all have 800mm lenses for these situations (or seats twice as close!) and increase the exposure here even more so as to draw the face with more photons. It looks like you were pretty much at the limit of everything here, I'm guessing shooting at full zoom of 400mm, and you were already wide-open at f/4. About the only other thing you could have done, and it would be a compromise is go one shutter speed slower.

Anyhow, a good lesson on why even with a D4, if we are shooting at high ISO, we had better get a tight crop right in camera if at all possible. Tough situation!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

This is a hot, active topic! D4 noise [View all] , 70buddy , Tue 04-Jun-13 01:03 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 noise