Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 noise"

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 06-Jun-13 11:56 AM

If you are shooting under artificial light it is possible that the camera had to push one color very hard to bring it in line with the others. For example, the shop lights in Iraq were very red. The red was about two stops over the blue and green. Using a cooling filter in addition to auto white balance allowed me to get decent photos with a D2X. Auto white balance on its own would amplify the blue and green by the two stops and cause them to be very grainy. Adding a filter mechanically balanced the light so the camera didn’t have to over compensate.

Photograph a white or grey target with auto white balance set to daylight. The histograms may show one channel much lower or higher than the others. You may need to bracket exposure to see how many stops your camera is fixing. A filter can help force the camera to stop over pushing one or two channels.

Daniel McGowan
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! D4 noise [View all] , 70buddy , Tue 04-Jun-13 01:03 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 noise