Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
28563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D3 versus D3s?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 03-Jun-13 12:56 PM | edited Mon 03-Jun-13 12:59 PM by blw

The main improvements of the D3s over the D3 are:

- another stop of ISO, both better quality in the mid-range ISOs and absolute capability (meaning 12800 in-spec compared to 6400). At base ISOs or nearby the difference is hard to detect if not impossible.

- video. The D3s has it, the D3 doesn't.

That's about it. They both do 9 fps, 11 with no AF between frames. The D2x is a great camera but the D3 really is a lot nicer to use and is a LOT faster and more responsive.

Personally I hesitate to use a D3/D2/D4 with a D700/800/et al because the control layouts are so different. It's nothing that I couldn't work around eventually, but for me a higher res solution is probably a D3x, which has identical controls to the D3/D3s and similar to the D2x. (Along with compatible batteries, chargers, L-brackets etc.) Note that *I* use two bodies at the same time at many events, such as motorsport, equestrian or social events. When I'm shooting other types of things, such as in a botanical garden, I'm really only using one body; the other one is a backup and probably doesn't make it out of the car. In those cases, a D700/D3 kit is no problem at all - even if it takes me a couple of minutes to reorient at first, that's no big deal. Even that is rare, since I nearly always would go to the D3 first.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic D3 versus D3s? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Mon 03-Jun-13 09:47 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3 versus D3s?