Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Buying advice - D3x or the D3s?

JonK

New York, US
6415 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Buying advice - D3x or the D3s?"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sat 01-Jun-13 11:25 PM

Normlly I'd say the decision would be driven by what you shoot and how you shoot it. But first I have to disagree with a few of your thoughts.

I found the D3s to be a significant upgrade over the D3. It has better overall ISO performance and better high ISO performance. It also have sensor cleaning.

I would never consider the D3x. For the same money I'd go straight to the D800. Best dynamic range and color out there. Excellent ISO performance — at the same print size it matches the D3s.

I still have mu D3s. It is built like a tank, it's utterly reliable, and has that wonderful FPS rate. Last year I sold my D300s and replaced it with a D800e (I passed on the D3s to D4 upgrade as I didn't think the benefits met the cost). I still have my lower-pixel machine gun and now have simply the best image-capture body out there with all those pixels to crop.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

A topic tagged as having a question Buying advice - D3x or the D3s? [View all] , petterf Silver Member , Sat 01-Jun-13 08:35 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Buying advice - D3x or the D3s?