Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Buying advice - D3x or the D3s?

blw

Richmond, US
28704 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Buying advice - D3x or the D3s?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 01-Jun-13 11:18 PM

You'd be replacing the D3? If so, then you're giving up a fair amount of high ISO capability with the D3x - I don't have one but it is normally said that it's good up to maybe ISO 1600. As you and I both know, the D3 is good to 6400 without much issue. If you're shooting landscape at base ISO on a tripod, no big deal. If you're shooting architecture in less well lit environments, hand held, you wouldn't find a D3x to be a very good compromise. On the other hand, the D3s is the D3 with one MORE stop of high ISO - and virtually nothing else. If you're not needing MORE high ISO, I'd stick with your D3 - it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you need higher resolution, and can trade off the high ISO and frame rate, the D3x is a suitable match.

If on the other hand you're adding to the D3, I think the D3x is the obvious answer.

The D3s does have power-on dust-shake sensor, which does help some. My impression is that the D3x doesn't have this, and I'm positive that the D3 doesn't.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A topic tagged as having a question Buying advice - D3x or the D3s? [View all] , petterf Silver Member , Sat 01-Jun-13 08:35 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Buying advice - D3x or the D3s?