Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use?

JonK

New York, US
6416 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use?"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sat 01-Jun-13 11:51 PM

• I always use AF-C with AF activation by the AF-On button. That way continuous focus is always on and I achieve focus lock by removing my thumb from the AF-On button.

• Priority is always set to Release. I'll decide when I want to trip the shutter. A slightly out-of-focus image is better than an in-focus image that you miss.

• Focus Tracking with Lock-On: I've experimented with this for years on many Nikon bodies. Now I just leave it "Off". Losing focus due to a subject block just doesn't happen to me all that often, and AF acquisition is getting better and better.

• Number of Focus Points: usually at 9 (body dependent). The other settings have occasional, limited, specific value and use.

I agree with Arthur. I wonder if you are targeting the middle of the uniform where there's no contract for the AF system to lock onto. And there is the possibility of blur. I'd crank up the shutter speed and let the ISO fly up as necessary and see if that improves results.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

A general, generic topic What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use? [View all] , dspvisuals , Wed 29-May-13 08:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use?