Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use?

Arthur Laurent

Leesburg, US
533 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use?"

Arthur Laurent Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2006
Sat 01-Jun-13 08:42 PM

If you're having trouble with your focus, make sure there's enough contrast for the lens to quickly focus the scene...and that you're using a fast enough shutter. (I'd recommend at least 1/250 for soccer. All other things being equal, this will slide you ISO into the 400+ range.)

Both the 200mm and the 70-200mm are very sharp lenses. I don't use teleconverters, so can't comment on how they might affect your focus, except they reduce your effective aperture. With a D4, so long as you don't get below f/8, the AF should be able to work fine.

I have my D4 set up so AF-ON initiates focus, and the shutter release button only trips the shutter. With AF-C, as long as I hold down the AF-ON button, the camera focuses. If I want AF lock (rare, in a sports shoot), I take my finger from the AF-ON button.

Fo sports, I use AF-C, 11 points. Focus Priority. (Like another poster said, I don't understand why you would choose Release Priority. I have no use for out-of-focus exposures.) As I said before, I rarely lock focus during sports shoots.

Depending on the sport, I use continuous High (10 fps) or Low (5 fps) most often, with occasional excursions into the land of single exposures

That's what I typically use. Experiment and find out what works for you.

Regards,
Arthur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use? [View all] , dspvisuals , Wed 29-May-13 08:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What Auto Focus Settings Do You Use?