Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 Review is out, and it's from Thom

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 Review is out, and it's from Thom"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 06-Apr-13 04:10 PM

I likewise came from a D700, so completely happy with the move up to D4. I'm doing a lot of video too. I am one of those who thought perhaps Thom had some major concerns, given his longish silence and occasional blog gripe, but I see he pretty much likes the D4.

I also appreciated his comments on the so-called "soft" full-frame format video. I use the 70-200 a lot on my D4 for video and because 70 is not all that wide in 2.7-crop, I end up shooting full-frame video a lot rather than my preferred CX-mode video (which is truly stellar). As an aside, there was a recent patent for a 50-300 f/2.8-4 lens and for video this would be ideal as it would allow me to pretty much always use CX-mode video on my D4.

Looking around my camera a bit prompted by the review, I ended up making use of the (f7) vertical grip fn button (AF-Lock, and +- EV Comp) whereas before I was making zero use of this button, so I'm happy there. I also ended up changing f6 centre sub-selector to toggle me back and forth from 8x10 mode which I use for headshots, so again happy to make more use of programmability.

I am still completely frustrated by the implication of f5/f14. I would like to make differential use of the sub-selector and multi-selector left-right-up-down buttons but be darned if I see how the camera allows me to change the function of the multi-selector left-right-up-down buttons! Would sure appreciate if anyone has advice as I DON'T GET IT

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic D4 Review is out, and it's from Thom [View all] , KnightPhoto Gold Member , Fri 05-Apr-13 10:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 Review is out, and it's from Thom