Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just got my D4, now what?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5702 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Just got my D4, now what?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 31-Mar-13 05:32 PM

Most has been said already, but to emphasize by analogy...

Buy a simple portable stereo, pop in a CD, nice music comes out.

Buy a top end audio system, and you spend hours if not days configuring speakers, picking from a bazillion arcane options none of which are explained well because they were translated from some other language, finding the right combination of inter-connections from among too many possibilities. Until you do all that, you get either nothing or garbage, but once you get everything set up, there's no comparison.

I think Nikon could do a better job of their default settings, as could Adobe (which a lot of people use) in their default profiles. So if you just pick it up and shoot, depending on what you do next, you get anywhere from fair to bad results in terms of color and contrast (but you should get great focus and sharpness).

If you are a raw shooter with Adobe, try "Camera standard" instead of "Adobe Standard", dial in some extra black point (negative) and/or contrast to find a good setting. Add some saturation if you like. If you are a Capture user, the picture control settings on the camera are a good place to start, as are those if you are shooting straight JPG's.

In terms of the lousy focus and blur on your shot (no offense but you more or less said that), as has been mentioned more details are needed, but my guess is you ended up at a low shuter speed and focused on the wrong thing by being in some auto-setting inappropriate for the shot (for that shot I'd suggest AF-C, Dynamic 9 point, but definitely not Automatic Area).

You bought one of the worlds' fanciest audio systems, don't expect to just plug it in and have it have ideal sound. Trust me, the great sound is in there, you just need to give it a bit of coaxing.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Just got my D4, now what? [View all] , joh1 , Thu 28-Mar-13 09:54 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just got my D4, now what?