Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just got my D4, now what?

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Just got my D4, now what?"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Fri 29-Mar-13 06:02 PM

Hi Josveek,

No disrespect meant, but the fact that you mention A-mode being no different than P-mode shows that you may not have as much of a strong grasp about the fundamentals as you could.

Using one method over the other doesn’t necessarily make your images any better. Rather, they are simply two different ways of achieving the same outcome – which is ultimately proper exposure. If you don’t already know this, I suggest learning as much as you can about the impact aperture, shutter, ISO and working focal length (along with the light you’re photographing in) will have on your ability to translate what you’re seeing into a language your camera can understand.

Not sure if you're shooting in JPEG or RAW/NEF, but color can be adjusted in picture controls (or by setting proper white balance) - and blown out skies can be contained through better understanding of both the dynamic range limitations of the D4 (as it relates to the prevailing light that is inherent at the time of capture), and through better mastery of your camera's metering system.

That being said, I suspect that your previous D200 simply required less tweaking right out of camera (sounds like you were essentially using it in an automated fashion, or were shooting “in-camera processed" JPEGs). While I'm not suggesting that you fall into this camp, many sincere folks like yourself purchase a flagship camera like the D4 with the idea that it will somehow translate into better images. What it won’t do is make your images any better. What it will do is potentially open up more creative opportunities—-whether through better low light performance or enhanced burst rate, focus accuracy, etc.

The D4 is just a tool (albeit a more complicated tool than the D200) and if you don’t fully understand the fundamentals, you’re only complicating your ability to bring out the full potential of this highly capable camera. Keep working at it!

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

A general, generic topic Just got my D4, now what? [View all] , joh1 , Thu 28-Mar-13 09:54 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just got my D4, now what?