Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Renaissance Man

Laurel, US
106 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: External Mic for D4"

Renaissance Man Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009
Sat 23-Mar-13 05:00 AM

>At the time I bought my sound recorder, Zoom H4n, I was shown
>a very small and well built metal Sennhaurer that looked great
>for travel. It was only about three inches long and came
>highly recommended by a knowledgeable salesperson. There a a
>couple very popular Rode models as well. I am likewise
>interested in what others have to say.

In December I did the still photography for the HILT 2012 Conference in Boston and a very experienced guy did the video recording of Keynote Speeches and some one on one interviews. I paid attention to his rig. He recorded sound for synchronization purposes with his Canon DSLR, but recorded the actual sound to be used in his productions on a ZOOM Handy Recorder H4n fed via a wireless mic near the podium, and used a Rode mike on a boom feeding his H4n when recording one-on-one interviews. It is best to have a clapper board to put a sharp distinctive noise onto both sound tracks to aid in initial synchronization but he didn't use one. Using one might make your polar bears jump nicely for more exciting "footage." I forgot to investigate his wireless mike setup, but I think that it was actually the hotel's wireless mic used to feed the PA system which also fed his H4n during the Keynotes. I think that he uses Adobe CS software to synchronize his good audio track with the video. I don't know which CS Application it is though.

The Canon DSLR Video Recorder guy has a very nice device for use in one-on-one interviews, though its not for those who need to minimize their kit. The person asking the questions and the camera are one one side of the contraption, and the person being interviewed sits on the other side. The purpose is that when the subject looks directly at the camera lens, he actually sees the interviewer's face. The model in the green shirt is sitting in the position of the interviewer. I've attached a very low-res JPG of the thing with the model's face obscured. I guess that the device might be called a duplexer. Maybe someone can provide the proper name.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

A topic tagged as in need of help External Mic for D4 [View all] , Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography , Thu 21-Mar-13 11:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: External Mic for D4