Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's your opinion of XQD cards?

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What's your opinion of XQD cards?"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Thu 21-Mar-13 12:33 AM

So, here are my latest test results:

I ran a 30 sec burst test using my Nikon D4, 3 times each for my 32G Sony XQD Series H, 32GB Sony XQD Series S, 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, and 32GB Lexar Pro 1000X memory cards. I ran the burst test because it gives me a measure of what I can do when photographing flying birds, something I do weekly. It would hold for other moving objects too.

The D4 was set to continuous high speed mode with a fixed focus point. The battery was fully charged.

I pressed the shutter release down for 30 seconds and counted the number of photos I got, shooting RAW, Lossless Compressed, 14 Bit, in manual mode at 1/640 second at an all black background. Here's what I got.

• 32GB Sony XQD Series H - 157 shots in 30 seconds, 76 shots before it slows down.
  • 32GB Sony XQD Series S - 162 shots in 30 seconds, 81 shots before it slows down
  • 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF - 145 shots in 30 seconds, 70 shots before it slows down.
  • 32GB Lexar Pro 1000X CF - 150 shots in 30 seconds, 71 shots before it slows down.

The results were a little surprising to me, but clearly, as we've seen with other cameras using the latest and the greatest "faster" memory cards, the camera's processor and cache size eventually are the limiting factor. We appear to be at the limit of the processor and cache for the D4 with the Sony XQD Series S memory card.

While the Sony XQD cards are faster reading and writing in the computer, so you can upload your images more quickly with this card, in the D4 we seem to have essentially reached the limit on speed.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

A general, generic topic What's your opinion of XQD cards? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Mon 18-Mar-13 09:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What's your opinion of XQD cards?