Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequential...

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequentially?"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Mon 18-Mar-13 02:41 PM | edited Mon 18-Mar-13 02:46 PM by Ned_L

The answer is straight forward Jim, to the best of my knowledge.

Assuming you decided to store RAW plus some kind of JPEG, and have the XQD card slot set to "primary," plus the CF card slot set to "RAW primary, JPEG secondary," it's a multi step process in the D4. (You could have the card slots reversed as to primary and secondary, from my example, which would change the file locations in the below example.)

After making the image, the D4 processes the image to create the JPG thumbnail which is embedded in the RAW file, then writes the RAW file to the XQD card, then processes the image to a full JPEG file at its reduced bit depth, then writes the JPEG file to the CF card. It's sequential. The D4 must first process the image to the settings you've chosen for JPEG files, before it can store the JPEG image.

The whole process is done very fast in the D4.

(Please note, I did a quick test of RAW + JPG Fine, and found the times additive. This conforms to what Lindwood found with RAW + RAW.)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

A general, generic topic Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequential... [View all] , JECoutre Gold Member , Sun 10-Mar-13 04:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequen...