Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequential...

JECoutre

Concord, US
375 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequentially?"

JECoutre Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008
Sun 17-Mar-13 08:36 PM | edited Sun 17-Mar-13 08:40 PM by JECoutre

Thanks Lindwood, this is helpful with an effective sequential writing to card conclusion. I have an extended trip with long shooting days, little time to download (hopefully during dinner), no time to process RAW files but likely a sharing of JPEG images with other photographers after dinner; thus a DX800 buffer clearing concern when writing a SOOC JPEG to memory card.

The D4 is no longer a concern with XQD as Primary in either H or S series clearing the buffer pretty quickly even with JPEG or JPEG on Fast CF.

I’ve set my D800 CF (100MBS or 1000x) as Primary RAW and wanted SDXC (95/90 MBS) as Secondary JPEG. The SDHC and SDXC are 1/3 slower than the CF in Rob Galbraith testing. I had hoped that the buffer clearing would not be sequential and thus not see any substantial slowdown of it due to slower SD write speed and the JPEG file size (at about 25% of NEF size).

Downloading files from multiple chips to the computer are confirmed to be simultaneous (concurrent) with Photo Mechanic and multiple card readers.

So it would appear Primary CF RAW+JEG with SD as Overflow would be fastest versus CF Primary RAW with JPEG writing on SD (about 30% longer than on CF) resulting in a net effect of about 15% longer on buffer clearing for SD JPEGs.

I hope I haven't missed something or a have a flaw in card strategy.
Jim

A general, generic topic Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequential... [View all] , JECoutre Gold Member , Sun 10-Mar-13 04:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Are D4 cards slots written Simultaneously or Sequen...