Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How often do you swab your sensor?

archivue

Paris, FR
5525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: How often do you swab your sensor?"

archivue Registered since 26th Mar 2002
Mon 25-Feb-13 10:00 PM

I used to clean my D200, D700, myself, then with the D3x, I became lazy and give it to my next door shop (Nikon repair authorized dealer) !

My usual turnover rate is one time every three to four months, sometimes less, or just before going for a distant trip (they also test everything else like some loose screws, or AF, or the whole set of menus I don't even use !!!).
I also give my lenses, as new out of the box when I get them back. As the guy in the shop says, if you don't clean your lenses, it's no use to clean the sensor ! They have a vacuum system, taking the dust out of the camera (or lens), instead of pushing it further in as I used to do...

I use mostly primes and often change lenses in the field (Er... Street!). In between I use a blower when really necessary. I seldom go over f/8 so tiny specs don't bother me too much, but I find this camera quite "clean" as it is...

I might get an Artic brush thing if I see one in a shop, as it seems nice for the stubborn dust speck (but not for oily drops)!

With the D700 and the pseudo cleaning system, I had even more constant dust then with this one that has no auto-cleaning feature... Go figure

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

A general, generic topic How often do you swab your sensor? [View all] , cogrady Silver Member , Mon 25-Feb-13 08:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How often do you swab your sensor?