Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: He Who Must Not Be Named"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Sun 24-Feb-13 09:35 PM

Peter, while I agree with Marty, I can't agree with your statement that "The guy is a fool."

In fact, for unknowing people, "you know who" is a trusted expert who has managed his website and other work into a money making empire for himself. A fool he's not. He's actually a pretty darn good writer with regard to his technique and style, even though much of his photography writing is full of misinformation.

The problem I have with him is that he doesn't take himself seriously, while too many of his readers do, and plays around with the facts in his articles, but isn't clear that he's doing that. While he does state on his website,

"This website is ... a work of fiction, entirely the product of my own imagination ... this site is my "aggressive personal opinion," and not a logical presentation of fact ... I occasionally weave fiction and satire into my stories to keep them interesting ... if you consider anything I say as an endorsement (God help you if you do, remember, I do this site as a goof) ..."

and it's not exactly hidden, the statement isn't exactly "open." He makes the statement available enough to satisfy legal requirements. With regard to journalistic ethics, to my mind, he's not nearly enough forthcoming and direct about the fictional qualities of his writing.

On the other hand, he's laughing all the way to the bank. Unfortunately, honesty in journalism, isn't exactly the "coin of the realm" these days in many circles.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

This is a hot, active topic! Ken Rockwell [View all] , kenta Gold Member , Sat 16-Feb-13 01:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ken Rockwell