Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
28708 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Ken Rockwell"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 16-Feb-13 04:24 PM

Well, I haven't read those comments, nor will I bother to do so.

This doesn't pass the sniff test. There are significant differences between 36mp and 16mp, as there also are between 4fps and 10fps. As in 36mp frames at 4fps = 144 megapixels per second, while the D4 does 10 frames at 16mp each = 160mp/sec. Of course some internals will be the same: the mount, the contacts, the size of the focusing screen. Some things that look similar aren't: the mirror and shutter are not common to all three units. The D4 has to have a different mirror (and presumably mirror damping) to achieve 10 fps. The shutters may look the same, but the D4 has a design life 400k cycles, while the D600's are only rated to 150k. Besides, how would he (or any of us) know the difference between shutters without looking inside? He sure didn't disassemble and analyze the results.

There are differences in the focusing systems too - even ones that are fairly overt, such as 39-point vs 51-point. It doesn't take a detailed tear-down to discover that the focusing screens aren't the same.

And unless the author of the comments thinks that 16mp, 24mp and 36mp are all identical, it would seem that things are quite patently NOT identical.

I wouldn't call this ranting. Ranting is complaining about the pricing of the D3x at $7k. Claiming that these three cameras are identical is a complete and utter disregard of facts that can be trivially verified. I call it simply baloney.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

This is a hot, active topic! Ken Rockwell [View all] , kenta Gold Member , Sat 16-Feb-13 01:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ken Rockwell