Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3s vs. D4 vs. D800e

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3290 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D3s vs. D4 vs. D800e"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Wed 06-Feb-13 08:46 PM

I've extensively shot all three. My main workhorse camera though, was the D3s before migrating over to the D4.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the improved AF performance and color accuracy over the D3s. From subject tracking to color rendition in low light/high ISOs, the D4 is better than the D3s. Haven't had a chance to test out AF-C tracking since the latest D4 firmware upgrade, although I hear it's even better.

While not a monumental upgrade over the D3s, 16MP is plenty of real estate for most wedding, portrait or landscape applications.

Although the D800e is very capable of producing stunning mega-sized images, the AF and low light capability are nowhere close to that of the D4 (or D3s for that matter), so I think it struggles as a good "everything" camera. If you’re shooting mostly landscape, it’s a different story.

If they do come out with a D4x as rumored, it will combine the low-light, high speed AF performance of the D4 with the image size/landscape capabilities of a D800e. But for now, I find the D4 to be the best Nikon camera out there for multi-genre shooting applications. Of course, the D3s is awesome too, although the AF and color accuracy are improved in the D4 IMHO.

I think we’re getting closer to a camera that can handle it all – although I find the D4 to be extremely capable in everything I shoot, from landscape to PJ. I just can’t say that with the D800. Of course, the D4 is big and heavy – but like everything else in photography, it’s all about tradeoffs.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

A general, generic topic D3s vs. D4 vs. D800e [View all] , dougstroudphoto , Wed 06-Feb-13 12:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3s vs. D4 vs. D800e