Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 versus D800 Focusing

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 versus D800 Focusing"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Fri 01-Feb-13 07:52 PM

Ha, sounds like you’ve been reading too much Ken Rockwell (he basically argues that we’re all being duped into spending more money on high-end Nikon DSLRs, even given that they all use the same internal parts and processors).

Having experience with both, I can confidently tell you that the D4 is much better IMHO. Although my D800 (which I’ve since returned) didn’t have the dreaded left-focus point calibration issue, I found most of the focus points outside of center to be unacceptably soft (tested using a 35mm F/1.4 and 24-70mm F/2.8), whereas my D4 is tack-sharp and spot on. Of course, this could be a calibration issue – and I’m making these statements based on only one test sample (although online user reports seem to mirror my sentiments).

I think the D4 focus is just faster, tracks better, and does a much better job of locking in on low light subjects (The D4 does have amazing low-light sensitivity down to -2EV). And with the recent D4 firmware upgrade, AF-C tracking is further improved.

I suppose it depends on how you’re going to use the focus? If you’re a tripod guy who works in Live View using pro glass, you’re probably not going to see much of a difference. But if you’re handholding or tracking a moving subject (in lower light), I believe the D4 blows the D800 out of the water.

Don’t ask me what magic Nikon uses to tweak their Multi-Cam 3500-FX AF engine, it’s just better on the D4. Technological advantages of the D4 aside, if you add in all the caveats of shooting at the mind-numbing size of 36MP, you’ll generally find a much higher focus keeper rate using a D4. For example, I can shoot at 200mm using 1/250s on a D4 and be completely sharp, whereas the same focal length on a D800 might require 1/500s or higher to achieve similar sharpness. Regardless, I’ll take the D4 focus over the D800 focus any day of the week.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

A general, generic topic D4 versus D800 Focusing [View all] , Mike in FL Silver Member , Fri 01-Feb-13 09:08 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 versus D800 Focusing