Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Suggestions for a 2nd camera for travel

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3290 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Suggestions for a 2nd camera for travel"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Thu 31-Jan-13 07:18 PM

I think the D600 is a great bet - as the elusive D400 is not certain by any means (they've been talking about it coming out for years).

And compared to your D300, you'll be seeing a huge improvement in dynamic range, image quality and size, color rendering, and high ISO IQ. It's also lighter.

On the downside, you'll lose a few focus points and the max shutter speed is 1/4000s, which is really not that big of a deal in most shooting situations.

You can always sell the D600 if and when the D400 comes out, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I think the D800 is highly capable too, although the file sizes can be unwieldy for some - and although I wouldn't go so far as saying it's a tripod camera, I think the D600 would be more forgiving for travel photography. Others may argue this point, but having experienced the D800 myself, it does require strict technique (and good glass) to bring out the best in your jumbo-sized 36MP images.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

A general, generic topic Suggestions for a 2nd camera for travel [View all] , sharkman53 , Thu 31-Jan-13 04:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Suggestions for a 2nd camera for travel