Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Basketballs bounce but Nikon D4's don't--a caveat.

JimAxelson

Aldergrove, CA
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Basketballs bounce but Nikon D4's don't--a caveat."

JimAxelson Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2009
Wed 16-Jan-13 05:02 PM

Hi All,

Well, once again I am posting to show just how silly I can be. First I shove the CF card into the slot backwards and bend pins. That has created quite a long line of messages and thankfully a bit more awareness of the potential problem. I still feel darn stupid but I am more careful
about the card insertion and likely others are too. That is good.

I have another tale to tell. This old Nikon shooter (>44 years) was out taking photos of the
Autumn leaf color here in BC. While it is not spectacular like the East it is nice to see. On this fateful day I stopped with my wife at a roadside art gallery in a small town. An exhibit was being held. Yours truly had a potentially serious fall. I was looking at some gorgeous Owl photographs and did not look where I was stepping. Upon stepping to the side I fell...there
was a step down of over 20" I did not see. I am 6' 3" and weigh 275 and I don't bounce. A man on my left caught me mid air and guided me to the ground. My D4 launched into the air
and bounced off the wooden floor twice. I had the RRS L plate and my Nikkor 14 - 24 mm f2.8 lens on the camera. The L plate saved the camera body from really bad damage (I think)and as far as I could tell at the time there was only surface damage to the camera
on it's base where the L plate twisted on impact.

Well, here is where the plot thickens. I examined the camera VERY carefully (or so I thought)
and could only see the scratches on the bottom of the camera. So I proceeded over the next
couple of weeks to use the camera with a number of lenses. Specifically my Nikkor 14 -24 f28, 70 -200 f2.8 VRII, and my 200 - 400 f4 VRII lenses where used off and on. Then
after this I got the bright idea that maybe I should just stop by the local Nikon Technical
site in Vancouver to have the camera examined by a technician. Just to be safe....!!

Plot thickens...and gets ugly.

It took the tech exactly 60 seconds to note a gap of 1.8 mm between the camera body and the mounting plate. I damn near hit the floor. Fast forward--total damage- the 14 -24 mm lens which was on during the bouncing ...mount...damaged. 200-400 mm damaged by my
stupidity in putting it on a damaged camera... THe other lenses were ok...by a miracle...
My cost on the big lens.. over $800.

Camera damage...extensive...Mount replaced, base of camera body...replaced, rear body piece..replaced. Expensive. Camera was covered by Mack International Insurance. I cannot say enough about the excellent coverage on no fault basis of the D4.

Moral of story. If you drop it...don't even think of using it until Nikon checks it out. As robust as these cameras are they do break and idiots like me have now proven that you can
self inflict further damage.
THE END.

Jim

A general, generic topic Basketballs bounce but Nikon D4's don't--a caveat. [View all] , JimAxelson Gold Member , Wed 16-Jan-13 04:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Basketballs bounce but Nikon D4's don't--a caveat.