Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 Pro Guide"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 28-Jan-13 01:55 AM | edited Mon 28-Jan-13 02:14 AM by KnightPhoto

Here's a quick list

Changes I made or things I didn't know and may or will use:

- most useful one: f16 - Assign movie record button to ISO!! Now I can vary ISO without taking my eye away from the viewfinder! I had this one sitting at OFF, so I was wasting this possibility.

- c2 Standby timer > 1 min: Reactivating the exposure meters introduces a slight delay. Choose settings around 1 min according to your subject, but note that longer times increase the drain on the battery. -- faster reactivating is a good thing!

- Advice to increase #AF points when switching to portrait orientation. E.g. if shooting D-9 horizontally and switching to portrait, switch to D-21!!

- I'm going to give Active D-Lighting Auto a try.

- I didn't know I could use a button+dial to scroll through shooting banks A B C D. I've got to think about whether I can sacrifice the DOF preview, tough call.

- I didn't know how to use virtual horizon in the viewfinder.

- I never thought about using Quiet Release in LiveView but it sounds good. I also didn't know you can shoot bursts in LiveView nor that bursts in Silent mode can be at speeds of 24 fps!!

- I didn't know I could copy WB as a preset from a photo already on the memory card.

- And using the multi-selector for fine-grained control of WB in degrees Kelvin looks great.

- Very useful and didn't know: Choosing a Memory Card for Playback When two cards are inserted, you can choose the card from which pictures are played back by pressing OK and up during playback, or by displaying 72 images in thumbnail view and pressing -. A card selection menu will be displayed; highlight the desired slot and press right, then highlight a folder and press OK.

Reminders of settings I already used and what they do:

- f10 Customize command dials > Menus and play- back > On: Use the main command dial to scroll through pictures in full-frame play- back without changing the zoom ratio, a handy feature when you want to check focus for multiple pictures. --Reminded me I can zoom to a set level and scroll through images at that level.

- Read and re-read the Preset White Balance section. I wish to make much more use of this in future, I shoot in some crazy mixed lighting events sometimes (incandescent + daylight, gelled flash + fluorescent, theatre mixes, Fluorescent + daylight, and even one time incandescent + flash + daylight) and this causes me work and trial and error in post!

- also for the first time I am learning WB seems to be rotation of Amber/Blue around an axis. WB seems to be the former rotation, but in post in Capture NX2 I have also been adjusting Green/Magenta without really thinking about it as a separate rotation from the former!!

- I actually studied the jpg WB bracketing section for the first time. Since a colleague asked me to drop him a line about doing some occasional PJ work, I have in preparation been paying much attention to anything to do with jpg just in case! Digression but Rob Galbraith rates the D4 high ISO jpegs as even better than the D3S. I.e. D3S to D4 RAW is very close call, but for jpg the D4 seems to be a clear winner.

- Copying Pictures Between Memory Cards. I may get some super large but slow CF cards for backing up the images on the XQD over to the CF while on trips and vacations (in lieu of a laptop or image backup device).

- the f8 focussing has available an impressive number of points, more than I thought. I use a TC17E on an f/4 lens and am considering a TC20E now too, what with mostly shooting FX these days am feeling the need for more reach.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic D4 Pro Guide [View all] , Clipper144 , Wed 16-Jan-13 03:57 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 Pro Guide