Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's the largest image you have printed from a D3S?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10541 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What's the largest image you have printed from a D3S?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 14-Jan-13 02:58 PM

I just finished a job that involved resizing a D300 image (same size but smaller sensor) to 24x36 inches. It was resized for printing on canvas as a soft wrap. I used BayPhoto and it turned out great. The client loved it.

A few comments. The image file is plenty big enough, but you will need to resize. Normally you should not upsize by more than 50% in a single step, so I used two steps to upsize my D300 image.

You want to minimize noise early in the workflow - and upsize early in the workflow. Many editing steps can create noise - and upsizing magnifies those artifacts. I did not apply any contrast, sharpening, or shadow recovery to the NEF file until after upsizing. That includes not applying capture sharpening and contrast at capture or import.

I had to completely re-edit my image to eliminate noise issues. Here are a few tips.

If necessary, apply light noise reduction before each iteration of upsizing. I'm talking very light noise reduction - possibly also with low opacity.

My image had some significant shadow recovery. Recovering this area before resizing created a good bit of noise when upsized. By upsizing and recovering the shadows later, there was virtually no noise.

Sharpening may be a little different. I use a High Pass step to "tighten up the image" in addition to my normal routine. Don't hesitate to apply sharpening selectively. With Unsharp Mask, you'll probably need to increase Intensity a good bit and maybe increase Radius to reflect a larger image. I also use Nik Tonal Contrast for some detail sharpening and reduced the opacity a little more than normal. The sharpenign steps are late in my typical workflow.

After upsizing to the full image size, then edit as you normally would. You are dealing with a large image file, so it will place demands on your computer processor.

I was very pleased with BayPhoto's handling of my image. Their customer service was very good.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic What's the largest image you have printed from a D3S? [View all] , hollingwD80 , Sun 13-Jan-13 01:35 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What's the largest image you have printed from a D3...
Reply message Thanks.......