Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from...

Arthur Laurent

Leesburg, US
532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from older bodies to newer."

Arthur Laurent Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2006
Tue 01-Jan-13 06:32 PM

Hi. The first camera I bought was a Nikkormat Ftn in the summer of 1972. With a 50/1.4 lens, it cost $315.12. (Cash from my summer job as a counterman at The Pep Boys).

Since then, pairs of F2AS and F3As.

Then (late to the party as ususal), in 2005 I bought a pair of D2x's. Wow, they were great cameras. I still have 'em -- and I still use 'em. But they're not good for everything. I have no problem with relatively slow-moving things at ASA 400 and below.

I bought a D4 in August, and I was amazed how good the SOTA camera had gotten. I have no problem running exposures as 12,600, using whatever light is in the venues.
>
>But - why, I mean really - WHY move up to a D3 or D4 with
>those huge sensors and massive file sizes unless you have a
>very specific reason?

For me, it's faster autofocus in low-light, and the ability to jettison my SB-800s if I don't really need the extra light. I don't make gigantic prints, and as much as possible, I print full-frame. (I don't crop much outside the camera.)

I typically shoot single frames, one after the other. I'll make 100 - 400 shots during any sort of ball game. I've used CL and CH modes only to make sure they work. That's just a residue of how I learned to work. I wait for that decisive moment, and my reactions are good enough to usually get it on film.

I make about the same number of exposures with digital as I did with film. I just don't have to count backwards as well.

I'm presuming professionals whose work demands they shoot high numbers of exposures will wear out a pro Nikon in fewer years than I will. (The D4's 400,000 shutter clicks will take me a while.) That maybe why they replace so often.

Use the tool that makes you happy, and gets you repeat clients. I still shoot a lot of 4 x 5 sessions. Scan those negatives, and you're talking some B_I_G files!

Arthur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from... [View all] , Escher2 Silver Member , Tue 01-Jan-13 12:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving ...