Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from...

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from older bodies to newer."

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:25 PM

I agree. One of the neat things about the move of photography to digital is that cameras quickly become obsolete. This allows those with limited budgets to acquire cameras at bargain prices that only a few years before were top-of-the-line professional equipment with prices to match. The D2X is a good example of this. I paid about $4,600 for mine new in 2005. You can find them on the used market now for about $500-600.

The thing is, a few years ago top professionals were making beautiful images with that camera, and nothing prevents you from being able to do that now! If you are a landscape shooter who is happy to shoot at ISO 100, you can do great work with a D2X. (If you are a sports shooter who has to struggle with gym lighting, not so much, which is why I have a D3.)

In the film days, the images from a 1968 SLR and the images from a 1998 SLR were indistinguishable. There were better films available in 1998, but the 1968 SLR could still use them. So while the newer cameras had additional features such as autofocus, there was no improvement in image quality, and the used market wasn't nearly as heavily discounted as is the DSLR market. That's why I say obsolescence is one of the neat things about digital. Of course, if you have a professional need or personal desire to stay on the leading edge of technology, it's not so neat. But for those who are looking for budget-priced technology, this is a golden age.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from... [View all] , Escher2 Silver Member , Tue 01-Jan-13 12:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving ...