Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from...

Escher2

US
59 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from older bodies to newer."

Escher2 Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:14 AM

I am not a frequent poster - but I have been a Nikon shooter for years and years as a hobbyist.

I started in Highschool with an N6006, and then got an N70 followed by an F100, FE, then an F4s over the last 20 years... About 10 years ago I got into the Digital side with a D80 followed by a D1 and then a D2h in 2011.

I jumped ship in late 2011 for the allure of the Sony Nex5 and its amazing low light performance and HD video... an awesome camera - but it just didnt have the "feel" of what a real camera should be. So - I jumped to a Canon T4i since I'm into astrophotography and the Canon side is better supported in that realm.

But - It just didnt get it done. I mean - 18MP.. wow.. But man the files are HUGE!

Still, something just wasnt right... It started with the F100 - you know what I mean, the "Solid" Nikon pro body feel. The F4s was the most amazing thing I ever held, and the vertical grip was something I now cant live without. Same with the D1 - I was in love... I only moved to the D2 due to the battery and color issues on the D1.

So - long story short - and to the point of my post here... I just picked up my D2x. Its awesome. I'm in love again.

But - why, I mean really - WHY move up to a D3 or D4 with those huge sensors and massive file sizes unless you have a very specific reason?

Have we lost our sensibility of composition and basic photography? I hear so many people talking about these huge sensors and the ability to crop to get the important bits. Whatever happend to thinking about composing your image before you start shooting?

I was just talking about this with my wife - has the convenience of digital made us lazy photographers? I have over 12K photos on my backup drives - I mean *seriously*... who in the heck needs 12K photos... I used to take my time and compose my images. Now I get an idea and just start cranking off frames.

Along that same line - why does an amateur need anything more than a D2h? I have never printed anything bigger than a 20" print... and then only a couple of times. Is it simply a matter of "gotta have the newest and best"?

I'm not being critical - its an honest question. I remember a time when High ISO film grain was a stylistic touch. I realize that High ISO digital noise isnt the same thing, but its not that far off. Has the photographic community become overy elitist by assuming that just because there are multiple thousand dollar cameras with amazing high ISO performance everyone must have low noise or they aren't "pro" enough?

Hopefully I didnt just set off a thermonuclear war with this post - but I'm interested in your thoughts.. Anyone else just shocked at the prices we pay to "keep up" with tech, both financially and philosophically?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving from... [View all] , Escher2 Silver Member , Tue 01-Jan-13 12:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just some thoughts on tech improvements and moving ...