Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any way to back up D4 in field without computer?

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Any way to back up D4 in field without computer?"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Thu 13-Dec-12 02:19 PM

I’m looking for a practical and inexpensive way to back up D4 images while in the field, and can’t seem to find a way to do this outside of lugging around a small computer like a Mac Air, which I don’t want (and can’t afford) to do.

When I had my D3s, I had a compact Epson P-3000 multimedia storage device, which was great because it doubled as a picture viewer and as a portable hard drive. But unfortunately, D4 files don’t work on my viewer – and Epson has basically discontinued this entire line.

Complicating matters is the D4’s XQD memory card – although for now, I plan on limiting myself to a 32GB Lexar CompactFlash – and maybe considering XQD at a later date.

Does anyone know of any smaller portable hard drives (like an ioSafe or LaCie) that would enable me to either insert a CompactFlash card directly into the drive, or tether the D4 up to it, without requiring a computer? If it doubled as a viewer, all the better.

I suppose it would have to be AC powered because I wouldn’t have a computer to provide the power to the external drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

A topic tagged as having a question Any way to back up D4 in field without computer? [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Thu 13-Dec-12 01:19 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Any way to back up D4 in field without computer?