Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Remote Cable for Nikon D3s and Pocketwizard.Flex Mini

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Remote Cable for Nikon D3s and Pocketwizard.Flex Mini"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sun 09-Dec-12 07:05 AM

>Perrone:
>
>Based on your response, it sounds as if your recommendation
>requires two remote cables-which seems a bit confusing.

That is correct. One for the triggering camera, and one for the receiving camera.

> Also,
>with your set up, it appears that both cameras should be side
>by side (correct me if I'm wrong)

You're wrong.

>but what would be the
>purpose in firing one camera remotely if they are side by
>side.

Depends on the use, but that is not what I meant from my description. I do use a configuration like this regularly in basketball where I have a remote set up with an ultrawide lens, and the camera in my hand has a 24-70 or 70-200.

>Perhaps someone else can weigh in on this topic as I will
>continue using my preferred method as that is how it is done
>according to the Pocket Wizard WEB TV video series.

Use what works for you. But I can tell you this... When or if you ever start to push the envelope the way us sports shooters do, such as triggering over a football field length away, or triggering above 8fps, or needing that remote camera to work EVERY single time, you'll come to understand why I recommend something different than the "WEB TV" way. Mind you, the advice I am offering comes directly from a Pocketwizard engineer (hi Ian) and is used by practically every major sports photographer I know who relies on wireless remotes.

>Not trying to be difficult-just attempting to get some
>clarification, not only for myself but for others who may also
>read this thread.

There are two primary scenarios for triggering

1. Camera A as trigger with radio in hotshoe / Camera B as receiver with radio connected by cable.

2. Camera A as trigger with radio connected by cable / Camera B as receiver with radio connected by cable.

The camera hotshoe is limited in it's ability to send signals quickly. As a for instance, I often have my D800 in hand as my triggering camera. When I put a radio in the hotshoe, no matter WHAT camera I use as a receiver, the remote camera will work no faster than 4fps. When I connect the radio to my D800 using the cable, the remote camera then fires at whatever it's maximum speed is. This is a DIRECT limitation of the hotshoe capability on the triggering camera.

You don't see these issues when triggering strobes, nor do you see them in casual use. But for those of us using these radios in demanding situations, we see failure-to-fire, sporadic-fire, or other scenarios regularly. This is why I offer the recommendation that I do.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Remote Cable for Nikon D3s and Pocketwizard.Flex Mini [View all] , Clarktmc Gold Member , Fri 07-Dec-12 08:47 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Remote Cable for Nikon D3s and Pocketwizard.Flex Mi...