Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 AF-C for Stage Photos

Arthur Laurent

Leesburg, US
532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D4 AF-C for Stage Photos"

Arthur Laurent Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2006
Fri 30-Nov-12 02:01 AM

I'm getting ready to shoot a few hundred exposures. They're for publicity for an amateur theater group. I'll be shooting the dress rehearsal. (Relatively) lots of light & freedom to move around.

I'm considering using AF-C mode. Where do you guys draw the line between using AF-S and AF-C for something like this? Yes, there's movement, but it's not fast, like a sports event, or a bird in flight. But there IS movement.

When I used a mix of AF-S and -C for some shots of a college chem lecturer who frequently got animated during his classes, AF-C seemed to nail the focus more often. (I use the rear AF buttons, instead of the shutter release halfway down... and I'm using 70-200 and 300/2.8 lenses wide open.)

Should I just use the AF-ON button to START AF-C...and predictive focusing will keep trying til I release the shutter? Or do I keep pressing the AF-ON button until I release the shutter? (I'm confused because I've seen posts that say both.)

Thanks for all responses, and thanks for the education.

Arthur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D4 AF-C for Stage Photos [View all] , Arthur Laurent Silver Member , Fri 30-Nov-12 01:01 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 AF-C for Stage Photos