Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D4 Arrived Home Yesterday

dwight200

Stow, MA, US
309 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New D4 Arrived Home Yesterday"

dwight200 Registered since 30th Jan 2007
Mon 19-Nov-12 10:03 PM | edited Mon 19-Nov-12 10:06 PM by dwight200

Don't let me discourage you from trying out the higher ISO levels. The D4 shutter is rated to 400K so you can take all sorts of test shots in the process of learning the camera. I've probably taken 300-400 in the three weeks I've had it.

I generally set things to generic settings and adjust in post if needed. That means I don't have to stand there searching through the menu to find an adjustment while the shot is evaporating in front of me. The exposure is generally pretty close and I shoot RAW only so most everything is adjustable.

My D4 is generally set to CL (5fps), so I can take one shot or several. CH is too fast for me to squeeze off one shot. For Thanksgiving you will probably want some group shots. In our family there are a couple of blinkers, so I do group shots in bursts. Set the ISO to 3200 or above, set the camera to CH, and take a burst of 3-4 shots. Generally the blinkers have recovered by the 3rd or 4th shot and you have one with everyone's eyes open. If you want to be in the shot too, you can set up the interval timer (shooting menu) to take a sequence of shots, maybe 5 seconds apart in groups of 3.

I did a test of burst shots with my SB800. ISO1600, flash bounced from the ceiling. Got 10 shots before the flash power dropped off. http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofarmer/2366646996/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofarmer/4505910462/ . They say you shouldn't do that to your flash but I've not had any problems doing it occasionally. I let the flash rest for half a minute before I do it again, but I've only used this technique maybe 5 times at events.

I have a flickr account as you can see above. Never tried Smugmug so I can't compare it. Flickr has a free account but you're limited to 200 pix in your photostream. I believe the pix over 200 are still there and if you buy a higher level account you'll see everything. Don't know what the Smugmug cost is but flickr is about $25/yr (or free for the limited account). It does make it easy to share photos if you have a URL you can point to. I also have the website for the farm, which costs a bit less than $100/year for the domain and the hosting. That includes a few hundred GBytes of storage so I could put a lot of pictures there, but I would have to do all the coding. I do that for a couple websites (using Dreamweaver) and that's one way I share photos from the events I cover, but it's work, and I frequently don't have the time. The canned sites are a lot easier.

The tractor is a JD3020. Nice one. Dates from around 1979. The whole lineup can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofarmer/8128999859/

Dwight
http://small-farm.org

A general, generic topic New D4 Arrived Home Yesterday [View all] , mikemaz41 Silver Member , Sun 18-Nov-12 11:51 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D4 Arrived Home Yesterday