Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dwight200

Stow, MA, US
309 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D3X"

dwight200 Registered since 30th Jan 2007
Sun 04-Nov-12 11:54 AM

(1) I have been working with 4 GByte cards on my D3 for several years now. I rarely fill them in one shoot, but since they're set to overflow instead of backup filling them is not a problem. I thought about some of the larger cards but since I don't really need them, why spend the money?

(2) Just picked up a D4 and the files are larger so I should probably go to the 8 GByte cards, but the state of the art seems to be 16 and up so that's probably where I'll wind up. I think it's worth using the smallest card you can get away with, even if you have to switch cards once or twice in the middle of a shoot. There's generally some pause during a shoot when you can take care of details like that. It means that if a card goes south you don't lose ALL your shots. I've never had a card fail, but there's always a first time. For important shoots that's what the backup mode on a dual card system is for.

Dwight
http://small-farm.org

A general, generic topic D3X [View all] , pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Fri 02-Nov-12 12:52 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3X