Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5702 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Full frame"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 04-Nov-12 01:41 AM

>As I intend to make the transition to professional within the
>next 2 years, I am really interested in new equipment that
>will keep me at the top for at least a little while rather
>than trying to save a few dollars and start behind the
>proverbial 8 ball.

I always buy new also, so I get it. It is worth noting, however, that 2 years is maybe about the time the replacement for the D4 will be out. Getting a D3S now and honing your craft, then as you go pro get the D4S (or whatever) to have the newest at that time is an option as well. I don't know what comes next but I doubt in 2 years either the D800 or D4 will be the latest and greatest.

But un terms of new cameras, and if dark sports venues are your main criteria, there is no question the D4 is the best choice. Best value? Maybe not, but best Nikon for high ISO period, yes.

But don't forget that if shooting those venues you will also need F2.8 (and maybe faster) glass to go with it, if you don't have it already. Don't buy a D4 and save money with something like a 24-120/F4. That's a nice lens but it's shooting at 12800 vs. 6400 as compared to say 24-70/F2.8 or 70-200/F2.8, of which you will likely need both for indoor sports. IF you can't do the lenses AND the camera, then opt for (say) the D800 or D600 combined with the fast glass. The glass will stand you in good stead as you go pro, and you will replace the body occasionally anyway.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Full frame [View all] , panky , Mon 29-Oct-12 11:37 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Full frame