Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lost D4 vertical multi-selector rubber cap

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4124 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Lost D4 vertical multi-selector rubber cap"

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Fri 26-Oct-12 02:12 AM

I don't know if there was a snap ring or not. I'd already done about 12,000 exposures before the cap came off the first time. When the rubber cap came off I caught it, but if there was a snap ring it could have easily fallen to the ground without me knowing it. Even if I knew there was a snap ring, I couldn't possibly have found it in the artificial football turf. As I said above, just putting the rubber back into the hole, worked for another 17,000 cycles.

I just inspected the sub-selector button with an 8x loupe. The mechanism is identical to the vertical multi-selector. I can't see any retaining ring when I move the button through it's normal motions. I suppose a retaining ring could be hidden under a lip in the rubber, but nothing is visible .

I believe that I could easily install the rubber cap and snap ring myself. I certainly don't want to spend $66 shipping my camera to Melville and lose use of it for a couple weeks for such a simple repair. As a minimum, I think Nikon should pay for the shipping if they are unwilling to sell the part to me.

The high school team I photograph starts their post season playoffs tomorrow. If things go well they could be playing until the end of November. I can't even think of giving up my D4 as long as their championship hopes are still alive.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

A general, generic topic Lost D4 vertical multi-selector rubber cap [View all] , gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine , Thu 25-Oct-12 08:25 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lost D4 vertical multi-selector rubber cap