Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3s and 35mm 1.4G...horrible focusing problems!

Idyfohu

Salt Lake City, US
476 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D3s and 35mm 1.4G...horrible focusing problems!"

Idyfohu Silver Member Nikonian since 24th May 2009
Thu 11-Oct-12 09:01 AM

I'm not sure where to post this, but I recently purchased a well-used D3s and slapped on my trusty Nikon 35mm 1.4G, which has always been spot-on with every other body I've used it on (D700 and D3). However with this recently acquired D3s, the AF is horrible. I just did some testing as I planning on using it for a Wedding on Monday, but the way it looks, being unreliable, it's not going to happen.

At the minimum focusing distance, it needs -20 adjustment (it's back focusing that bad), however, if a subject is a foot away, the back focusing isn't as severe, meaning I would have to change the AF adjustment to roughly -12 or so for the mid range. For subjects further than 10-15' the AF is back focusing by several feet and no AF adjustment can fix it, which I found out today while (fortunately just at a corn maze with my daughter and not during a paid shoot).

To my surprise, the other lenses I tested on it are spot-on with no adjustment needed (14-24mm and 70-200mm VRII).

I'm confused and have no idea what to do. The 35mm is absolutely spot-on, on my other D3 body that is my primary body (The D3s was intended to be its replacement and the D3 would be the backup).

I have no idea what to do at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A general, generic topic D3s and 35mm 1.4G...horrible focusing problems! [View all] , Idyfohu Silver Member , Thu 11-Oct-12 07:01 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3s and 35mm 1.4G...horrible focusing problems!
Reply message RE: D3s and 35mm 1.4G...horrible focusing problems!