Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Sensor cleaning"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 09-Oct-12 11:34 AM

A dirty sensor definitely will not cause lack of sharpness. I clean the sensor before every shoot, at least with a rocket blower. (I don't have any of the newer models that have sensor shakers.)

> I did get stuck shooting in the rain the other day and also wonder if moisture might have created a problem.

I seriously doubt it.

> I usually create a cover when I need to shoot in the rain, but got taken by surprise this time.

My advice about this is to get the rain cover or two that's necessary (I have a ThinkTank HydroPhobia for camera and regular lenses and an AquaTech for my 400/f2.8) and just put them in the bag with the gear. They're expensive (I probably have $400 in those two covers) but that's nothing compared to a trip to Nikon for a D3 and 400/f2.8. Especially these days, with Nikon's repair prices jacked up by 30-100%. I'd rather give the money to ThinkTank than to Nikon.

> Anybody else ever experience an unexplainable loss in image quality? Any advice?

It could just be drift, but more likely it's a mechanical problem - that's why many (lots?) of pros send cameras in for a CLA every once in a while.

But every time I've had this, the problem has been behind the viewfinder.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Sensor cleaning [View all] , KathyH , Sun 07-Oct-12 10:40 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sensor cleaning