Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New Sony XQD Series S 64GB arrived this morning

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8057 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New Sony XQD Series S 64GB arrived this morning"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Mon 08-Oct-12 04:51 PM

I have come upon two instances to shoot for up to 5 seconds at 10fps which can be really helpful, though I haven't found a need for 10fps for 9 seconds. I have found the D4 can do that with an XQD card. In testing, I actually got to 11 seconds of RAW shots a couple of times at 10fps.

Back to the answer that I have two instances to shoot for up to 5 seconds at 10fps shooting RAW.

The first is when shooting warblers. These small birds seem to be in perpetual motion even when they are perching. They turn their heads, bob their tails, move around the branch, get behind, then in front of leaves, branches and twigs, etc. Therefore, by shooting in bursts of several seconds at 10fps, you are more likely to get these small moving birds, in focus, with a good portrait view, than trying to snap them off, one at a time. Moreover, when shooting with a long lens, where you are moving the camera/lens to keep the bird in the frame, by shooting in bursts, you are minimizing the effect of pressing down on the shutter release button.

The second instance is when shooting hitting in Major League Baseball. I periodically try to get the ball in my photos, coming off the bat of a hitter who's hit a home run, etc. To get that shot, I set my camera to shoot at 10fps and start shooting as the pitcher is in his windup to throw the ball through the batter swinging and hitting the ball. You just can't time that kind of shot without equipment you can't have set up in a game, and it takes less than a half second for a major league pitcher to throw the ball the 60 feet, 6 inches from the pitcher's mound to home plate, and less time for the ball to launch from the batter's bat forward through one's image frame, so you start taking the photo early, and continue on through the hit and hope you have the shot.

So while I'm not shooting in 90 photo bursts, I am sometimes shooting up to 50 shot bursts, although it's more often 25-45 shot bursts.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

A general, generic topic New Sony XQD Series S 64GB arrived this morning [View all] , piowoc , Thu 04-Oct-12 05:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New Sony XQD Series S 64GB arrived this morning