Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4: Why Power Aperture if not while recording?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4: Why Power Aperture if not while recording?"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 16-Nov-12 02:45 AM | edited Fri 16-Nov-12 02:51 AM by KnightPhoto

FYI I stumbled across the counterintuitive answer today in the D800 (or was it D600) dpreview:

- Power Aperture is only functional while recording to an external recorder via HDMI-out (and I believe no media in the XQD/CF card slots).

What the heck

The other thing I learned is Power Aperture is fine grained, proceeding at 1/6 stop adjustments, so is smooth. Great.

Now... why not let me use it when recording movies to my media cards?

Here's what the D4 manual says BTW:
"Power aperture is available only in exposure modes A and M and can not be used during movie recording or while photo shooting info is displayed (A @ icon indicates that power aperture can not be used). The display may flicker while aperture is adjusted."

So the D4 manual appears not to agree with dpreview. Anyhow, I don't have an external recorder, so I have no way of verifying this.

BTW, the D4 2.7 crop video-mode combined with my 70-300 gives me a powerful amount of reach - absolutely fantastic tool for low light, long reach, theatre video. And I can sit right up beside the sound guy, plugged into his board, and reach right down onto the stage for the tight style of shooting I prefer to do. And even at ISO6400, the video noise performance is very good, which is quite an achievement since I am using the D4 2.7 digital cropping. Very very nice.

I might actually get an external recording device combined with an EVF to better monitor my shooting. Not sure what to do with the massive file sizes clean uncompressed HDMI provides though.

I already chewed through 300 gigabytes of my hard-drive making up a 1.5 hour video intercutting between footage from two cameras. The 1080P footage from two cameras (am also shooting a D800E concurrently) was about 32Gb. Combining the 1080P footage with my externally recorded sound (Zoom H4n / Dual Eyes software) doubled that to about 64 Gb. Then my post processing (Final Cut Pro X) chewed through another ~250Gb. I'm guessing I'd be in Terabyte territory if I went uncompressed HDMI out.

Wait till we start doing 4K video.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A topic tagged as having a question D4: Why Power Aperture if not while recording? [View all] , KnightPhoto Gold Member , Sun 30-Sep-12 01:59 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4: Why Power Aperture if not while recording?