Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3 - Focus problems - Is FoCal worth a shot?

dwiggins

Minneapolis, US
469 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D3 - Focus problems - Is FoCal worth a shot?"

dwiggins Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2007
Sat 29-Sep-12 08:19 PM

Hi all-

I'll try to keep this quick and not very technical. I bought a used D3 on this forum about 1.5 years ago and have been loving it. Only recently, it has started to give me less than reliable focus using my 70-200 VR1 and 300 VR. I tried the lenses with my backup D300 and back to amazing images. I am in great need of the high ISO performance the D3 gives, so I am reluctant to send it off for a month to have Nikon look at it.

1) Wondering...is FoCal calibration software worth a shot?
2) Are there other (obvious or not) camera settings I should be checking in advance that could be affecting the focus?

The previous owner did have some AF Fine Tune settings for his lens that I have turned off.

Any advice on the focus issue would be appreciated. If you need further info, I will try to fill in the blanks.

Thanks in advance...

DWiggins - Minneapolis Nikoner
D3 (New) D300, D40, 18-200VR, 24-70 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8VR, 70-300VR, 300 2.8 VR1, 105 2.8VR, 85 1.8D, 50 1.4D, SB800, SB600x2

Always looking to upgrade, just ask my ex-wife.

Visit my SmugMug galleries.

This is a hot, active topic! D3 - Focus problems - Is FoCal worth a shot? [View all] , dwiggins Silver Member , Sat 29-Sep-12 06:19 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3 - Focus problems - Is FoCal worth a shot?