Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

High ISO, I don't Get It

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: High ISO, I don't Get It"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 28-Sep-12 12:02 PM

> While researching the D2X and the D2XS ... the common complaint about both is their high ISO performance. Noise is the dirty word. "Don't go past ISO 800 or you will be sorry", I've been told.

Don't believe everything you read.

Click on image to view larger version

D2x, 80-200/f2.8 AFS @ 105mm, 1/640th, f/2.8, hand held. At Hi-2. Meaning ISO 3200 equivalent. Sure this is not a huge copy, but it's reasonably representative of what would come out on a print, viewed at a reasonable distance.

Here's the 100% crop:

Click on image to view larger version

It's definitely not the end of the world, or even a small nuclear event. Would I choose this camera to do this shot today? No, since my alternative is a D3, and I don't think we need to get into the differences. But if for one reason or another I didn't have the D3, would I go shooting with the D2x, even at Hi-2? You bet.

> I would use that capability so seldom that I would never use high speed as a criterion for purchase.

Like Perrone, I do use high ISO fairly often, although for me the consequences of failure don't involve not eating. Lightroom tells me that out of the 49k frames on my D3, fully 56% are at base ISO or lower. 7% are ISO 6400, and actually it seems to me that I'm always dialing up 6400 - but there you go. The numbers don't lie.

> I think we are becoming slaves to a spec sheet when we should be more concerned on how we actually use a camera.

You bet.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic High ISO, I don't Get It [View all] , karma1248 , Thu 27-Sep-12 06:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: High ISO, I don't Get It