Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

High ISO, I don't Get It

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: High ISO, I don't Get It"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Thu 27-Sep-12 09:31 PM

It greatly depends on need. In my own case, I am a sports photographer. And if I want my images to be used by the athletic department at the university, they need to meet a certain technical standard. If they don't meet the standard, I don't get published, and I don't make money.

I shot plenty of Tri-X. And we pushed it to ISO 1600 and put it in the paper. But at the time that was the VERY BEST we could do. Today, we can certainly do much better. When the D2x was a new camera, that was the BEST WE COULD DO, and it's noise signature was as good as or better than film. And many pros made the switch to digital at that point. The D3 re-wrote the book, and we've been getting better ever since.

Now, people who shoot in studios with plenty of light don't have this worry. Nor do people who shoot landscapes, or those who shoot outside on sunny days. But for those of us who ply our trade capturing fast events in the dark, this is crucial. And we'll use the best technology available. Or at least the best we can afford.

Sorry if you don't "get that".

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic High ISO, I don't Get It [View all] , karma1248 , Thu 27-Sep-12 06:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: High ISO, I don't Get It