Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will there be a D4S??

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Will there be a D4S??"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 28-Sep-12 10:28 PM | edited Sun 30-Sep-12 09:17 PM by Ned_L

Jaques, I don't think that will happen. I believe Nikon is not going to back off from the XQD card, and I could see in the future that the next Pro DSLR camera will have 2 XQD slots and no CF slot.

First, I can tell you that the XQD card is amazingly fast compared to the top CF cards. As a result, in the D4, it takes far longer at 10fps, for example, to fill the cache so the camera has to slow down. I'm going to do a test sometime next month to quantify the difference, but it is significant. With the XQD card it almost seems like you can go forever.

Second, while it's true that today, only Sony is producing the XQD card, making it very expensive, $229.99 for the 32GB card, Lexar has announced they will begin shipping the XQD card soon, probably by the end of November. That will make two sources of the cards, and should reduce its cost. My guess is that with Sony and Lexar manufacturing the cards, Sandisk will be eventually produce the card once another camera or two uses it.

Sandisk is about to come out with a new CFast CF card (No camera currently supports this spec.) with a speed of 600MB/s. While that seems fast, XQD cards have a speed of 2.5Gb/s (4 times faster than the CFast CF cards) and Sony is soon to bring out a new XQD card with a speed of 5Gb/s (8 times faster than the CFast CF cards) which the D4 can utilize.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

(Update corrected spelling.)

This is a hot, active topic! Will there be a D4S?? [View all] , fgrths2 Platinum Member , Tue 25-Sep-12 01:00 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will there be a D4S??